The History of St. Andrew's

The history of the church of St. Andrew's, Eakring begins with a mention of a church in the Doomsday Book. The current structure dates back to the 13th century, the oldest part being the tower which has a 13th century base with a 15th century top storey.                                                      

The building has been much restored, first in Elizabethan times, then in the 17th century by William Mompesson, who widened the nave and added the north and south porches, and again in 1881, with the vestry being added to the design of J.P. St. Aubyn.

The most notable person connected with St. Andrew's was William Mompesson.  From Seamer, near Scarborough, Yorkshire, he was orphaned at ten and, with his brother, taken in by his grandfather.  He was sent to grammar school in Sherburn-in-Elmet and then on to Cambridge University, where he graduated in 1658. He was ordained in 1660 and became Domestic Chaplain to Sir George Savile of Rufford. He was placed as Curate of Wellow by Savile, and married in 1662 and  had two children.  In 1663 he acquired the better living of Bilsthorpe and soon after was offered the living of Eyam in Derbyshire which was also in the gift of Savile.  They arrived in 1664, but the following year the village of Eyam was struck by bubonic plague. The plague accounted for about 260 deaths of the village, including Mompesson's wife.  During the plague, Mompesson organised the isolation of Eyam, this resulted in more deaths within the village, but halted the spread of the plague to other villages.  In 1669, he married again to a widow who had been a neighbour at Wellow, and in the same year the living of Eakring became vacant and was offered to him by Savile. 
He was installed as Rector of Eakring in January 1671.


It is said that the people of Eakring would not go near to Mompesson for fear of the plague, so he conducted his services in the field outside the village
This spot is now marked with a cross.


Views of the church dated 1881